Newcastle United decides to pursue Espanyol defender Adria Pedrosa, they will face competition from Premier League rivals Brighton and Hove Albion.
The 24-year-old left-back is in the final year of his current La Liga contract and has drawn interest from a number of clubs in Spain and across Europe. Brighton are considering the former Spain Under-21 international as a replacement for Marc Cucurella, who joined Chelsea on Friday in a deal worth an initial £55 million.
Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo claims Newcastle is also interested in Pedrosa and that the Magpies have “known economic muscle” that will help them in the transfer market. Following the permanent signing of Matt Targett earlier this summer, a move for the left-back would be surprising.
After awarding a new contract to long-serving defender Paul Dummett, Magpies manager Eddie Howe now has backup options for the former Aston Villa star.
Read more: Chelsea make a new bid for a Premier League player interested in moving to Stamford Bridge
Matt Ritchie can also fill in at left-back, and Jamal Lewis is still part of the St James Park squad despite battling back to full fitness after suffering a calf injury earlier in pre-season.
Howe recently told NewcastleWorld about the former Norwich City full-back: “We hope Jamal can stay fit and show us what he’s capable of.” I believe in him as a player, but he’s had a string of bad luck.
“He’s got a lot to offer physically, as we’ve seen in pre-season – he’s an incredible athlete.”
“He needs consistency of training right now, and hopefully he can get that.”
Despite reported interest from Newcastle and Brighton in a deal for Pedrosa, Espanyol are said to be keen on keeping its highly-rated defender and are in the process of negotiating a new contract. Following a recent meeting with Pedrosa’s agent, the club’s sporting director Domingo Catoira was described as ‘optimistic’ that a compromise could be reached.